Saturday 28 December 2013

The Seventh Seal

Over the Christmas holidays I saw 'The Seventh Seal' with my family. I've got to say I loved it. I couldn't help but notice several themes in it were ones that I love to explore so I definitely had to talk about it.

DVD cover taken from Amazon
'The Seventh Seal' is a 1957 film from Sweden by Ingmar Bergman. It is set during the medieval period and tells the story of a knight who on his journey back from the crusades meets Death and bargains for his life in a game of chess. Along the way they pass by ravages of the plague, brutalities and meet other travellers.

There's much contemplating (a great deal of which done by the knight) over the nature of life, love and death.

I'd have to say it's really the characters that the film really focuses on and really makes 'The Seventh Seal'. And the character of death is so visually simple yet striking. I love how there's a slight illusion of his face floating amongst the black fabric.

Now, I don't know anything about Ingmar Bergman but I do know this is a beautiful film with such a unique surreal and sombre atmosphere. It takes full advantage of black and white cinematography. I urge those who haven't seen it already to do so. As for me, I'm going to just go an watch it again.

Iconic scene from the beginning of the film.
Image taken from Empire Magazine.


No comments:

Post a Comment